Dr. Clive Clutton, Doctor of Chiropractic, has recently added Contemporary Medical Acupuncture (Neurofunctional Acupuncture) to his practice, integrating the modality into his treatments based on his patients individual needs.
Neurofunctional Acupuncture is a precise nervous system stimulation technique in which fine solid needles are inserted into “neuro-reactive” points in the body and stimulated either manually (by hand), or with electricity.
By stimulating specific body sites, also called acupuncture points, acupuncture can modulate the nervous system to affect the endocrine(hormones), exocrine (hormones) and immune systems which all lead to healing.
In contrast – According to traditional Chinese medicine, diseases are caused by the disruption of energy in the body, and acupuncture is meant to help release that flow.
What can Neurofunctional Acupuncture be used for? What are the benefits?
1. Decreasing pain: Acupuncture is proven to neuro modulate the sensation of pain. This means that with or without structural damage to bodily tissues, acupuncture can be used to stimulate the nerves and reduce one’s perception of pain.
2. Promoting blood flow: When an acupuncture needle is inserted into the body, the body responds by causing the local blood vessels to vasodilate (open wide). A by-product of vasodilation is increased blood flow to the areas that need it. This is important because when there is structural damage to the anatomy, blood flow is essential in healing.
3. Restoring normal tissue trophism: Inserting needles into trigger points or taught bands and other specific point can help increase remodelling of injured tissue and decrease adhesions.
4. Restoring normal muscle activity: Sometimes “weak” muscles are inhibited muscles. This means that the muscle is not weak because it is small but instead because the brain is having trouble getting the nerve signal to the muscle. Electroacupuncture specifically is great at reconnecting the brain and muscle, therefore allowing it to fully activate.
5. Reducing stress: Acupuncture has been shown to trigger the release of many feel good hormones and chemicals to regulate the nervous system. This puts you into a more relaxed state. It decreases blood pressure, normalizes psycho-emotional imbalances, and normalizes endocrine function(hormones).
Patients are now required to sign a consent form for medical acupuncture along with their chiropractic consent form as it may be used in the scope of their chiropractic session.
Find out more and book online with Dr. Clutton here, or for initial appointments please call the clinic at 289.245.1111 to book.